What makes a good tequila

We’ve talked about tequila here before briefly, but Bill Bumgarner gives an excellent overview of what makes a good tequila good and a bad tequila bad.  An excerpt:

“Good tequila is almost always a tequila that is made from alcohol distilled from 100% blue agave. Specifically, the species Agave Weber Tequilana. This plant of the class Liliopsida (Lilies) has nothing to do with cactus. Blue agave is grown primarily in the Mexican state of Jalisco.

More specifically, Cuervo gold is a Tequila Mixto, Joven Abocado or, more precisely, young and adulterated tequila.

By Mexican law, adulterated tequilas are at least 51% blue agave. The other 49% is generally comprised of the absolute cheapest, nastiest, sugar cane based liquor. If you are familiar with big city corner bodegas, the cheap rum in the plastic bottle on the bottom shelf behind the counter. “Bum rum” we called it in NYC.

Adulterated tequila would not have any color. To give it color and take a bit of edge off, Cuervo (and others) add caramel. This ultra-nasty combination of cheap cane sugar alcohol and low quality agave distillate is the reason for the vicious hangover. Those massive nasty sugar molecules break down into all sorts of evils that take your body a long time to metabolize. Hence, a Cuervo/adulterated tequila hangover is a trip through hell.”

Definitely worth a read.

via :: Dethroner

Spread the Word:

  1. longstaff Said,

    This site is a horrible split between the main site and the specialized pages. Slow to load and presented in a boring manner.

    As well, it is extremely difficult to find information, overly-commercial and private sector, and the registration process I just had to endure to be able to post this comment is very church basement.

    The web can do without this site.

  2. longstaff Said,

    And the interface is so garish it looks like it was drawn with either a crayon or Microsoft front page.

    Please reduce the garishness of the colors; they are very user-unfriendly.

    Perhaps engage a qualified designer.

  3. DrinkPlanner Said,

    Garish? Bitch please. Commercial? My nuts. This shit is muted and subdued as hell. Anything you’d want to find is easily searchable in the right-hand side. Everything is hosted from the same place, so there’s no load difference. You just seem to be a hater, crying about problems that aren’t there. So glad you found us though, we didn’t have a resident pain in the ass until now! I can’t wait to cram “user-friendly” straight up your ass, cock-smoker!

    Thanks for reading!

  4. bbean Said,

    That might be the best reply to a bitch I’ve ever heard. Thanks for making by day DrinkPlanner. Keep it coming.

Add A Comment


XHTML: You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>